Back to the main page
To update the firmware on your EssenceFM, download the latest version below and put the file on a USB drive.
Plug it into your EssenceFM, go to the Global mode, then in the System section press the "Update" button then follow the instructions.
All firmwares work with all EssenceFM models (EssenceFM, EssenceFM MKII)
- Full backup: unlike the Import/Export feature which helps sharing and fitting new sounds into existing banks, backups allow you to save and restore everything in your EssenceFM. It can be used as an additional security or to copy all your work from an EssenceFM to another one.
- [Envelope Editor] Scrolling automatically follows when envelope points are moved out of the viewing area with the knobs
- [Voice Editor] Randomizing a sound and using Undo/Redo keys updates volume envelope and algorithm in real time
- [Modulation Matrix] Polyphonic Aftertouch wasn't useable with Patch Transpose
- [Voice Editor] Pressing the Undo key when no operator was selected could randomly mute the EssenceFM
- [Voice Sequencer] Freeze when hundred of events were triggered at the same time
- [Patch] Corruption when a whole patch bank (128 patches) had more than 8320 layers in total
- [Effects] Long Tap Delay did not sound exactly like it should
- Multimode filter with morphing capability between high pass and low pass modes, controllable via the modulation matrix
- 48 user waveform slots instead of 24
- The Voice Sequencer has the ability to keep its instances synchronized with each other, allowing you to play chords while keeping the patterns in sync
- Scale override at the Patch level. Takes priority over the voice scale.
- On-the-fly algorithm swap available as a modulation matrix destination. Selects between the 32 algorithm presets.
- True mono mode at the layer level: the "Exclusion Group" feature can be configured to either soft-cut or hard-cut the notes, like on a monophonic synthesizer.
- MIDI LFO sync ratio (clock) has been added to the modulation matrix destinations
- New "Free Running" mode for operator phases, useful to use operators as LFOs
- Added support for sostenuto pedal (CC 66 - only sustains notes that were held before pressing the pedal)
- Added support for MPE in Patch and Voice modes. Select "Omni/MPE" for the Global Channel setting in Global > MIDI to enable it
- New visualization system in Global > Audio allowing you to see all parts, their notes and allocated voices
- Voice randomization: option to separately randomize the LFO
- Events in the Voice Sequencer can be moved using the main jog wheel
- Ability to copy/paste between different envelopes types (volume, pitch, filter, panning)
- Voice editor: Zoom scale on envelopes stays identical when switching operators
- Voice editor: Double-tap operators to mute/unmute them
- A default name is enforced when a new element (empty slot) is being edited
- Waveforms can be moved to other slots
- Black theme: better looking menu bar
- New startup animation
- Patch editor: indicator for currently playing layers
- Very rare double-triggered key presses are prevented (improved debouncing)
- USB import no longer freezes when importing items without any free slot available
- Modulation matrix: Pan as a destination didn't go up to 100% left / 100% right and didn't work in combination with RNG source
- Performance/Patch mode: Importing a performance/patch from USB into the currently used performance/patch slot did not immediately apply effects
- Exclusion Groups did not work under some circumstances (envelopes in Linear mode with Sustain Point set on the last point)
- Voice allocation display glitch
- Undoing a category change for patches/voices did not immediately update Patch/Voice lists
- Copy key did not work on all text elements
- Slight distortion noises could get into some notes while playing
- Using very short filter envelope loops combined with resonance doesn't stops the EssenceFM from making any sound anymore. The filter will self-oscillate instead (it's usually not desirable to use it like that, since it will be loud and saturate the outputs)
- New effects: shimmer, long tap delay, mono mix
- New graphical interface:
The firmware update will show you the new theme. If you don't like it go into Global > Display > Appearance and re-select your previous theme. You might also re-select your background pattern and color settings.
- Packed import/export system: multiple elements can be saved in a single file and imported into another EssenceFM while keeping the relations between elements (voices in patch layers, waveforms used by voices etc.)
- Advanced sound randomization: choose to separately randomize frequencies, filter, volume envelopes, pitch envelopes, volumes and algorithm
- Save As: keep the Save button pressed for 1 second to open the Save As dialog. A short press does a regular save like before
- Filter Dry/Wet parameter was added to the modulation destinations
- Multiple Recall was implemented, it works like Multiple Save to quickly find which elements you edited and recall them
- Pressing the Perf/Patch/Voice buttons while you're on a sub-page brings you to the main page
- No more stuck notes using MIDI-RTP on Apple computers
- "Solo" button in patch editor didn't work properly with more than 6 layers
- When using a MIDI-USB controller plugged into the front USB port, events from the Voice Sequencer could very rarely miss their note off
- Performance parts could be muted by pressing simultaneously Perf and Global buttons.
- Some radio buttons didn't worked properly in firmware versions 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3
- "Bank Change" enable/disable on Performance Parts wasn't handled correctly
- Using the "Random Sound" feature cleared the modulation matrix without refreshing its display (now it doesn't clear the mod matrix anymore).
- Receiving MIDI commands that modify the current Performance settings (Volume, Pan etc.) while saving could make the EssenceFM think the Performance is corrupted.
- Advanced microtunings: choose arbitrary frequencies for each 128 notes
- Lossless audio rendering to USB drive (.wav, 16 or 24 bit)
- MIDI clock (BPM) as a modulation matrix source
- More FM parameters are updated in real-time as you edit the sounds
- Envelopes loops can now be set be after the sustain point
- Inc/Dec buttons allow to move the cursor in the naming page, they also work for navigating into the Voice Sequencer events
- Default behavior for the expression pedal can now be disabled (controls volume)
- Fix: expression pedal MIDI filter wasn't working
- Fix: in some rare cases, booting with a MIDI-USB device plugged in the front USB port could mix up the outputs assignations
- Fix: freeze when touching the screen during boot, and on some algorithm configurations
- Scala file support
- Fix default voices using free waveform slots instead of waveform #0 (Sine) - If you changed those sounds or fixed them by yourself, it won't do anything.
- DX7 32-voice and 1-voice sysex dump support via USB
- 'Turn off' screen after a delay now works as expected and also shuts down the key backlight
- Better detection of USB drives and USB-MIDI controllers
- Real time envelope update when editing
- In the modulation matrix, max ratio is now 400% (instead of 200%)
- Global > MIDI: MIDI file player
- LFO is now syncable to MIDI clock
- Envelope loops can loop forever if you omit the sustain point
- Global > Audio: Option to disable waveform interpolation
- Larger range for pitch envelopes (8 octaves)
- Algorithm navigation with the main wheel
- See/edit all part volumes and pans on a single screen by pressing Performance two times
- Fixed a bug where the sustain point was ignored in combination with mod. matrix changing the envelope speed
- Globlal > Display : Angle compensation feature (contrast) for people having the EssenceFM lower than their eyesight.
- Fixed a rare crash that could happen when removing/editing modulation matrix entries
- Fixed a bug where performance effects could end up overwriting patch effects
- New background patterns and color themes
- Better support for exotic Wave files for import
- Mute/Solo buttons for operators and patch layers
- More digital gain available to boost output volume
- Switching between Global and other modes now remembers the current page you were in
- Many, many small ergonomics improvements